Chicken or Turkey soup - crock or not

Chicken soup is something most people have a memory of. Someone making it for you when you were ill...the scent wafting over you as you walk into your grandmother's kitchen...winter afternoons frolicking in the snow and coming home to a big, steamy bowl...just the thought of these things brings joy into the heart, and a longing for that time in life again.

For me, my grandmother is the one I remember making soup. Every holiday, we had a turkey, and magically, within a day or two, there was the familiar smell of turkey soup bubbling away on her gas stove.

My family had dinners together that others never did. Every week night after work and school as a child, we all went to grandma's house and had supper. My grandmother, Evelyn, also prepared Sunday dinner every week for the family as well. It was my parents, brother, uncle and grandfather who were there every day, chatting about the day's events and enjoying each others company.We all lived within one block of each other in a very small town, so why not?

As we all grew older, these dinners began to phase out. My brother and I had after school activities to attend to, and my grandfather passed away. Eventually, we moved to the city and my grandmother moved in with us. Shortly after, she had a stroke that made her forget many, many things, and made her very confused. I often say that when she had this stroke, all of her recipes went with her.

I spent so much time with grandma, cooking away, that I really lost a big connection with her after she had her stroke. It still saddens me, as she wrote down very few recipes. Luckily, I have the book that she scribbled out some of her recipes in. Yellowing and disintegrating, it has a very special place in my cupboard and in my heart.

Although not her recipe, this is mine...and I'm sure it's quite close to her recipe, as I learned from the best.

Chicken or Turkey Soup

 Ingredients:


1 chicken or turkey carcass
2 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
2-3 carrots, chopped
2-3 celery stalks, chopped
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
Uncooked noodles or rice

Method:


Place the carcass in a large soup pot with enough water to cover it. Add in salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring the water to a low simmer and allow to bubble away for at least an hour, but up to 4.

Discard the carcass and bay leaf. Skim off whatever fat you can off the top using a spoon. Alternately, you can place the pot in a cool location (we used to put it outside in the winter for an hour or so!), and then skim off the fat which will accumulate at the top.

When you are ready to make soup, bring the broth to a boil. Add in carrots, onion, celery, Italian seasoning and season to taste with salt and pepper. Allow to cook approximately 10 minutes.

Add in uncooked rice or noodles and continue cooking until they are tender.

Serve with love and memories in your heart.

Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts